We want
your input

I suggest you ...

Let users created 'trusted' accounts

A list of trusted bank accounts would let users not have to jump through the whole SMS process each time they transferred money. The SMS would only be needed the first time the account was set up. This would not only make it easier to transfer money now but also when overseas. The process would allow customers to opt into this process. Customers should still be given the option to stay with the full SMS process if they prefer.

181 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tania shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminUBank - CSS (Admin, UBank) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

If you have ‘Linked’ accounts you’re now able to withdraw money without SMS security codes. This is up to a total of $5,000 each business day across your Linked accounts. If you withdraw over $5,000 (cumulative), you will start getting SMS security codes again. (Don’t forget, if you’ve only just Linked your external account, you’ll have to wait 10 days before we stop asking for SMS codes, just to be safe.)

Charlie

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also appreciate this feature as someone who has lived in London and Vancouver and had to suffer through the hoops UBank imposes on those without an Australian phone number. On each occasion, I've ended up moving my money to another more cooperative bank because it simply isn't worth the hassle with UBank.

Creating trusted accounts would be perfect when running into this issue. At the very least, allow international numbers. Not sure why this isn't yet a possibility as it is already available with other banks.

I agree. Trusted accounts and trusted billers are like the frequently used ones. A one time SMS to add them to a trusted list should be good enough from a security point of view.

• Greg Norris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if sms security must remain it seems reasonable to allow international mobile numbers to be used. NAB allows me to set sms security to my UK mobile number, so too does Commsec. Come on Ubank this seems an easy solution as step #1 then sure add trusted accounts to make life easier all around as step #2

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Ubank I'm a new user and already so sick of the sms code for every little thing! Obviously people travel and do not always have an Aussie sim in their phone. Heaps of options here - First time you transfer to a new account only (like everywhere else I bank). Security code through the mobile app so you're not locked to a sim (like commbank).

Anything is better than this!

• Chris Curtis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I highly recommend this idea. Ubank's parent, the NAB have something similar to this where one just has to enter one's password to make further transfers to a previously added (using SMS security) payee. I'd prefer to not even have to do that if possible and just have the idea as presented above. ie no SMS security needed for every fund transfer to a payee after that payee has been set up using SMS security. The present system is not conducive to being user friendly and most of us I think believe this extra layer of security is unwarranted. At least you could, as the writer suggests above, give us 'the option'.

• Luciano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ref:

<<I'm sure other not old codgers can do without the constant nagging of SMS alert and overseas mobile SMS indipendent banking too.>>

Please read:

I'm sure other not old codgers can do without the constant nagging of SMS alert and appreciate overseas mobile SMS independent banking too.

And I did manage to vote , finally.

• Luciano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Via am I not able to vote for this suggestion?

The feature suggested is a must for old codger like myself that do not carry mobile phone overseas. Every time I make a transaction, add biller/payee, got to run wherever the confounded phone is.
        I'm sure other not old codgers can do without the constant nagging of SMS alert and overseas mobile SMS indipendent banking too.

If one use his mobile for business too, would he want to carry it on holiday???? I would certainly not.

Come on UBank you can do better than that.

• Andrew Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's unlikely that it'll be a user-specified amount. uBank is actually taking the risk here so they will set any parameters and limits.

However verified accounts (that have gone through the current "Linked Account" process) represent a reduced risk as the customer has already verified that they own (or have access to) that account.

Obviously there will be accounts that we want to verify, but not have the direct debit agreement in place (e.g. loan accounts or other accounts that we want to transfer funds to but they don't allow direct debits). So there will need to be another category (e.g. "Trusted accounts" as Tania suggested).

Both the current Linked Accounts and the new "Trusted Accounts" would be verified through the same process (small transfer) and should then allow transfers (perhaps up to a set amount per day) without SMS verification.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To expand on it, instead of just blanket opt/in out security, maybe allow no sms prompt if under a user specified amount. Eg user could set if under 2k then no SMS prompt, above 2k, prompt for sms, this will make things much easier especially when traveling overseas and not necessarily having access to SMS however still wish to move money back and fourth.

• erwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

but only 256 votes? ubank should put this link in the front page im sure this will get 1million votes in 1 hour! - so important feature

UNDER REVIEW SINCE 2013 - 2 YEARS LATER. A JOKE UBANK. HOW ABOUT ACTUALLY IMPLEMENTING CHANGES?

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would like that SMS notification be made optional for small amounts such as 1k and less. I have had hassles with retrieving SMS and had to ring call centre. An email notification would suffice for small amounts.

Please consider this suggestion. Otherwise, pretty good bank (although low interest is not your fault!)

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having mobile service, we live in western qld, i find it very difficult to do anything with my acc,i have to wait till we go to town which is about once a month. I dont have this problem with Nab as you dont have to do the SMS if you dont want it. Ubank is near impossible to use in my case.

• Jes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to hear about potential security issues with this 1st time only sms verify account idea. If no staff will answer any users know about issues???

• LKD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well most of the other banks seems to operate like this. Unfortunately not Ubank.
        My mobile doesnt support roaming. so the only way I can work is to move my money to commbank before I leave Australia Which is kind of frustrating!

Creating 'trusted' accounts would be optimal, but alternatively allow UBank to function with an offline Authenticator app that generates a new time-based one-time code every 30-60 seconds.

For example, Dropbox allows this with their 2-step verification when signing into new devices; users who opt-in can choose to receive a text or use an authenticator app. These phone apps include Google Authenticator [Android/iPhone/Blackberry]; Duo Mobile [Android/iPhone]; Amazon AWS MFA [Android]; and Authenticator [Windows Phone 7]. I've only had experience with Google Authenticator; but it seems to work well and doesn't require an active cellular/internet connection from your phone.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was recently living in the UK. My bank there had a system where any transaction setup to a new account required use of the SMS system. However after the first transaction to that account, the SMS wasn't needed for subsequent transactions. I felt this was a good balance between security and convenience.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base