We want
your input

I suggest you ...

Create a two factor authentication system in your mobile app, as an alternative to SMS code verification.

Why not create a two factor authentication system (or piggy back off Google Authenticator!) as an alternative to the SMS verification code system? This will allow people to continue banking when reception is bad / SMS glitches etc.

155 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David Warner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider supporting industry standards like TOTP or FIDO U2F. Requiring a different phone app for every website with second-factor authentication is a bad user experience.

• Frequent traveller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its taking a very long time to get authentication onto your App!
        The fee free overseas transactions are great, and using it all the time. But the SMS verification is a real problem overseas.
        Got to get the two things together on the app ASAP!

• Edward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh THANK YOU! I’m living overseas at the moment and having to change sim cards every time I need to transfer money from my Ubank account is so painful. This would be a HUGE improvement. Especially making sure that it is reflected when banking through the app as well.

• AdminUBank - CSS (Admin, UBank) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all. I have passed this idea to our Internet Banking Development Team for review in the future. For now, we won't be partnering with Google Authenticator, however we are looking into Push Notifications as a way to tackle this issue and provide even higher security than the SMS codes. I'll keep you up to date as this progresses.^EH

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about implementing a token for login. After the recent publicity (June 2017) surrounding the illegal porting of mobile phone numbers, I no longer trust sms one-time codes!

Ubank and all the others should follow the lead of RaboDirect which uses a token for login. Unlike a few that only provide them for business customers or limit their use to large transactions.

Admittedly in this era of hacking, even the tokens are not infallible, but are far less likely to be hacked than a person's mobile number is to be illegally ported.

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ubank: Can you please implement this? SMS codes are no longer secure, and are only as safe as my account with my telco provider. I don't trust them with my money, so please don't force me to.

• Gerard Carrasco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand a few customers have complained about their UBank experience while overseas. Customer Service finds work arounds. Like the other customers who have been overseas for a period of time and require to do their banking without expensive Global Roaming, I would recommend you put in place a solution like what Citibank and RaboDirect have. Citibank has an mobile app that generates a One Time Pin. When transferring funds this (OTP) is entered and allows one to transact funds. RaboDirect has something similar though with a physical SecurID token. Come on UBank and don't take the easy way out and give me the standard line of Terms and Conditions etc. Do something about it.
        Instead of having stupid processes in place

Great idea but fix the app first, the rating reviews for this app on Google Play are not encouraging.

Can't help but notice that it took more than a year for UBank Admin to respond to the original post.

Yes please, when my phone was stolen overseas I was left stranded with no way to access my money! App generated pin would be much better.
        Also sometimes, the text comes through almost 15mins later...

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anything but SMS codes! Doesn't look likely - this is from 2014 and the other suggestion of setting up trusted accounts with sms for only the first time transfer is from 2013...

• Mandy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those of us that don't live in a mobile service area it is almost impossible to do banking with Ubank. I understand that if I can't get my code I can call the bank BUT that is extremely timewasting. I know I am in the minority because most people have some mobile service. However, there are four of us in this household all suffering from Ubank'itis.
        Other banks are offering alternate methods (ie tokens or codes to an app) so why can't Ubank?

This would be very handy. Spent some time in England recently and was unable to pay rent in Australia because I couldn't get the SMS code. Thankfully we had access to another Australian account that we could use to pay it but it was more than a little stressful.

Please add support for TOTP.

I'm overseas frequently without my Australian mobile and not having access to Ubank funds is inconvenient and frustrating.
        Please, please, please create an app generated PIN.
        Thank you in advance.

I agree. I travel overseas extensively without access to my Australian mobile phone and on the rare occasion I deplete my working account reserves, would love to be able to transfer funds from my uBnk a/c to my working a/c. UBnk, you already do a good job. Could you please introduce the facility to generate an offline One Time PIN on your uBnk app. Thanks!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base